Cyprus (official name Republic of Cyprus) is an island country located in the eastern Mediterranean Sea. It is located to the south of Turkey, to the west of Syria and Lebanon, to the northwest of Israel and Palestine, to the north of Egypt and east of Greece.
This island country is divided into two parts. North and South. The northern part is called the ” Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus ” while the southern part is called the ” Independent Republic of Cyprus ” or “Greek Cyprus “ .
Cyprus, known as the ‘ Jewel of the Mediterranean ‘, is a beautiful island country. Its beauty and culture attracts tourists from all over the world and establishes it as a popular tourist destination. Let us know interesting facts and information about Cyprus ( Interesting Facts and Information About Cyprus)
Read Also – Interesting Facts about Finland
|Cyprus Capital||The capital of Cyprus is Nicosia . It is also known by the name Lefkosia .|
|Cyprus Area||The area of Cyprus is 9,251 km 2 (3,572 sq mi).|
|Cyprus Population||According to the 2011 census, the population of Cyprus is 8,38,897. The estimated population in the year 2018 is 11,89,265.|
|Cyprus Currency||The currency of Northern Cyprus is Turkish lira. The official currency of Southern Cyprus is the Euro.|
|Cyprus Language||The official languages of Cyprus are Greek and Turkish.|
|Cyprus Religion||In Cyprus 78% are autocephalous Orthodox, 18% Muslim, the remaining 4% follow Maronite or Armenian Apostolic religions.|
01-10 Interesting Facts About Cyprus
1. Cyprus is the third largest island of the Mediterranean Sea, after Sicily and Sardinia. It is the third most populous island.
2. The inhabitants of Cyprus are called Cypriots.
3. The map of Cyprus is shaped like a cigar pipe.
4. The island of Cyprus was divided in 1974, when Turkish troops invaded here to stop Greek military plans to form a union with Greece.
5. The capital of Cyprus – Nicosia – is divided by “The Green Line”. This line is also known as the ‘United Nations Buffer Zone’. It is the only capital in the world divided between two nations – the Republic of Cyprus and the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.
6. Cyprus became independent from British rule on 16 August 1960. However, there is an Independence Day celebrated every year on 1 October.
7. The national anthem of Cyprus is called ‘Hymn to Liberty’. It is also the national anthem of Greece.
8. Cyprus is the first country in the world, on whose national flag the country’s map is made. Only two countries of the world show the country’s map on their national flag: 1) Cyprus 2) Kosovo.
9. On May 01, 2004, the Republic of Cyprus became a full member of the European Union ( EU ).
10. Cyprus is also a member of the United Nations and its specialized agencies, the Council of Europe, the Commonwealth, the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe and many other international organizations.
11-20 Interesting Facts About Cyprus
11. According to archaeologists, there has been evidence of human habitation on the island of Cyprus about 10,000 years ago.
12. In 2004, archaeologists found the remains of a man buried with a cat in Cyprus. About 9,500 years old, this remains is of the oldest known domesticated cat.
13. Some of the oldest water wells in the world have been found in Cyprus. A study of these Stone Age wells found in Kissonerga, Paphos found that they are about 10,500 years old.
14. Cyprus was the richest nation in the world during the Copper Age and Bronze Age. At that time the rich natural copper resources of the island were exported to other countries.
15. The length of the coastline of Cyprus is 648 kilometers (402.6 mi). The coastline of Cyrus is rocky, with a variety of creeks and headlands.
16. More than 55 beaches in Cyprus have been awarded the EU Blue Flag for cleanliness and safety.
17. ‘ Fig Tree Bay ‘ located in the Paralimni town of Anjirpostos is one of the best Blue Flag beaches in Europe. Its sparkling clear waters and fine golden sand have been declared the cleanest in all of Europe.
18. The Highest Point In Cyprus is Mount Olympus, or Chionistra , which is 1,952 meters (6,404 ft) high.
19. Cyprus is known for its sunshine. It receives more than 300 days of sunshine during the year, which is twice the amount of sunshine in Britain.
20. Cyprus receives an average of 40 days of rain every year.
21-30 Interesting Facts
21. Cyprus has a total of three UNESCO World Heritage Sites. 1) Paphos 2) Lefkara village 3) Painted cathedral in Trudos region
22. The entire town of Cyprus named Paphos is included in the UNESCO World Heritage Site list.
23. Lefkara village of Cyprus is famous for its lace. In 1481, Italian painter ‘Leonardo da Vinci’ () visited this place to buy lace and then this village was placed in the List of Intangible Culture Heritage by UNESCO by UNESCO.
24. Painted Churches in the Troödos Region of Central Cyprus is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. These 10 churches are decorated with Byzantine and Post-Byzantine murals.
25. 371 species of migratory birds are found on the island of Cyprus.
26. 20 rare species of orchid are found in Cyprus.
27. Of the total 1950 species of flowers in the world, 140 are found in Cyprus.
28. Cyprus is one of the few places in the world where Green Turtles and Loggerhead Turtles (Caretta caretta) are found.
29. The world’s rarest variety of sheep ‘Cyprus Mouflon’ is found only in Cyprus. It is said that these sheep lived in 9000-8000 BC. originated from wild Asiatic sheep brought by prehistoric Cypriots around AD.
30. The life expectancy of the people of Cyprus is about 79 years.
31-40 Interesting Facts
31. Cyprus is also multi-religious in addition to being multi-lingual and multi-cultural. 78% of the people here belong to the Autocephalous Orthodox religion; 18% are Muslim; While the remaining 4% are Maronite or Armenian Apostolic.
32. The main holiday in Cyprus is Easter.
33. Sirtos is the most popular folk dance of Cyprus.
34. The largest bank in Cyprus is owned by the Cypriot Orthodox Church . The church also plays an important role in the social and political life of the island’s people.
35. The world’s oldest wine label is the Cypriot dessert wine commandaria of Cyprus . It is believed that it is probably being built from 5,000 years ago.
36. Despite being an island nation, the people of Cyprus do not like fishing and they do not eat fish.
37. There are some cafes in Cyprus which are only for men.
38. Cypriots are fond of food. They like to dine in their favorite restaurant once every week.
39. Cyprus is the only foreign venue to host the English Royal Wedding. This marriage ceremony, which took place on May 12, 1191, was of King Richard and Queen Joanna.
40. The only equestrian track in Cyprus is in the capital Nicosia .
41-50 Interesting Facts
41. Cyprus is one of four countries in the European Union that drive on the left. The other three countries are the UK , the Republic of Ireland and Malta .
42. Taxi drivers in Cyprus do not return change. They keep the change as a tip.
43. About 20-30% of the population of Cyprus smokes. Although smoking is banned here. Still smoking is allowed in many different establishments.
44. There is such a tree in Cyprus, which is known to fulfill the wishes of the mind. Located at the entrance of the Christian catacombs in Paphos , this tree is decorated with handkerchiefs and ribbons. According to the belief, infertile women get pregnant by tying a handkerchief/ribbon on this tree. If something related to a loved one is tied on this tree with full hope, then that loved one returns.
45. The Limassol Carnival is held in Limassol, Cyprus between mid-February to the first week of March . Tourists coming from all over the world get acquainted with the cultural dance and drama of Cyprus apart from food and drink in this festival.
46. The first Olympic medal has been won by Cyprus in the year 2012. Pavlos Kontides received a silver medal in sailing in this Summer Olympics held in London .
47. Cyprus has a very low crime rate and for this reason it is included in the safest places in the world. The crime rate in the year 2017 was 60 per one lakh population.
48. Potatoes, pharmaceuticals, citrus fruits, clothing and cement are mainly exported from Cyprus.
49. The main industries of Cyprus are tourism, food and beverage processing, ship repair and cement and gypsum production.
50. According to legend, Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, was born in Cyprus. Cyprus is also called the Playground of the Gods.
Friends , I hope you will find ’50 Interesting Facts & Information About Cyprus‘ interesting. If you like the information about Cyprus Facts, then you must like it. And also share to your friends .